Sunday, February 15, 2009

Temple Open House

On Saturday, we made the "trek" over to the other mountain to go through the Draper Temple. We were a bit nervous about going during dinner time, but Carissa ate lots of snacks on the "long drive" over! Once we got to the chapel we were waiting to be bussed up to the temple, the wait was a bit more difficult. Then when it was time to get on the bus, they soon discovered that someone had parked their car right in front of the bus route, to get in and out of the chapel parking lot. By the time they realized this, there were at least 4 busses stacked up, and no one was able to get on the bus. So after waiting about 10 minutes, Andrew decides that they need some "management"! The drivers were saying that they couldn't just back up, and they obviously couldn't go forward, so they were basically gonna sit there until the driver of the illegally parked car returned! Well Andrew made the suggestion that we stop the busses on the street, prior to pulling into the parking lot, and have the groups walk out that way. Yes, it was COLD, and icy, but after 3 busses were loaded within minutes, it was much better than standing around. Hooray for Andrew! Who says a government worker can't get things done! (well maybe when it affects them!)

Draper Temple RZ

So when we finally got on the bus, Carissa wasn't sure she wanted to do this new activity. She finally settled down and when we got our first glimpse of the temple, she started singing "I Love to see the Temple" while the nice host was trying to give his little schpeel. At least she wasn't screaming it, but he was having a hard time focusing on what he was reading. It was pretty comical.

Carissa wasn't so sure about the tunnels leading up to the temple, but she must have known how special it is to go to the temple. As we approached the door, she just looked up in awe. And was so reverent through the entire tour. We were so proud of her! We just didn't know how she would behave. Then once we got out in the tunnel to go to the stake center, she went right back to her normal volume level!

If you haven't had a chance to get over there, try and make it happen, it is truly beautiful!

4 comments:

niknfil said...

Hey Salina,
Thanks for the invite to your blog! I love temple open houses. We were able to take our kids (three at the time) to the Nauvoo temple and it was so great!

Julie said...

oh I wish I could see it. You are so sweet to send pictures! I can't wait to see them. We love you guys!

Chrystal said...

oh I am so jealous. I've never been to a temple open house!!

Melissa said...

I bet Carissa will have wonderful memories of this trip all her life. I still remember when my parents took me to the Portland Temple's open house when I was 4 years old.