

This morning Carissa woke up at 9 (this was after she woke up at 5:30 this morning for an unknown reason) so I assumed she wouldn't take a nap this afternoon (right again), so I decided since the weather was nice, I would venture over to Wheeler Farm and check it out. I've been saying I should head over there all summer, but just never got around to it. So today was the day! And what a fun time we had!! At first she was a bit hesitant to do anything. She wouldn't sit on the tractors or walk into the barns to look at stuff. So I just let her explore. I of course had never been there, so I was exploring too. I noticed a bunch of people gathered around a cow pen, but didn't know what was going on, cause Carissa didn't have any interest in doing anything I suggested at that point. So I let it go. Then we went around a saw the rest of the farm, including feeding the ducks, who were not shy at all once they saw we had food for them!
Later on, as we were waiting for the tractor ride, someone came out of the barn and mentioned there was a baby cow and a mama in the barn. We went in to check it out, and soon realized that this little calf had only joined the world a couple of hours ago! (if that) There was a little boy that had climbed up on the fence, and right after I snapped this picture, big momma charged toward us. Just a tad protective! Then she was eyeing us very carefully! And everytime this little guy got close to the fence, she came toward us!! This little calf was still had curly hair and couldn't even stand yet! When I say brand new, I mean brand new! I've never seen a farm animal quite that "new"! So I've come to the conclusion that the people gathered around her pen were talking about the birth, and the farm hands that had been cleaning an adjoining pen (which I thought was pretty routine, until I saw the calf!) were obviously cleaning up after the birth. I must have just missed it by about 30 minutes! So sad I missed it! If momma hadn't looked like she needed some privacy, I could have stayed there all day, just watching. But you all know Carissa wouldn't last 20 seconds, so off we went for our tractor ride. I'm really surprised she was able to sit the entire time! But she was so excited to see so many HUGE trees! She kept pointing every single one out. (guess we do live in a neighborhood that is seriously lacking in BIG trees!)
She also had a really good time going on a pony ride! This little gal's name is "Marshmallow" (funny name for a black horse:-) And she had fun being led around the pen. Apparently it is "better" to not have them on a wheel, and only have the ride go for 1 minute, versus on a wheel and the ride go for 10 minutes. Hmmmm....same amount of money.....not sure I'm buying that one again! And considering that she was under 4, so I had to walk (in the mounds of poo) around with her.....yah...not doing that again! (at least not with not flip-flops!)Do you just love this "pout" picture?? She didn't want to get out of the little tree house and go do anything else! Mean ol' mom, making her do other "fun" things!!!
Stay tuned for a big announcement on Monday! (don't you dare go jumping to conclusions.....I am WAY too old for that!!!!!!!!)



2 comments:
Im so glad you made it to Wheeler Farm!!! Looks like you guys had a great time! Love your pics. And the baby calf- how cute!!! um... I just emailed you. ;)
Announcement? you just can't tease like that!
Post a Comment